- Category - Health
- December 10,2019
- By Malinda
One minute you are writing your name in the snow, the next, you’re just hoping for a decent stream. Every year millions of men struggle in the bathroom; the symptoms include increased frequency, feeling like you have not voided fully, difficulty with urination, and more night trips to the bathroom. If these are your symptoms, then you may have an enlarged prostate, which affects most men as they age. The prostate gland is located in front of the rectum, and is walnut-shaped, with the urethra running through the center. When the gland begins to swell, it can make the passage of urine difficult. If you are suffering from these symptoms and your doctor has ruled out more serious conditions, such as cancer, here are some natural remedies that are available.
- Saw Palmetto: This herb works by decreasing the swelling of the inner lining of the urethra tube, which carries the urine.
- Kegel exercises: While this little hidden gem is well-known among women of a certain age, this exercise is beneficial to men as well. By contracting and relaxing the muscles of the pelvic floor, it can decrease the amount of leakage that may occur between trips to the bathroom.
- Valerian root: This herb is useful in relaxing the muscles of the pelvic floor, thus, allowing for a more forceful urine stream.
- Garlic: Garlic contains a potent anti-inflammatory compound that decreases the swelling around glands and allows urine to flow more freely.
- Echinacea: This tea contains a natural antibiotic and is a natural anti-inflammatory agent.
- Avoid stress: We all know that stress increases the frequency of urination, so avoiding stress can cut the number of times you feel you have to go.
- Avoid caffeine: Caffeine causes the constriction of blood vessels, which leads to an increase in frequency.
- Drink more water: This helps by keeping the pipes flushed out.
While some things come with age and we have no control over them, we can still do something to lessen the inconvenience they cause, whether it’s getting a prescription from your doctor or drinking a large glass of cranberry juice.