- Category - Health
- February 04,2019
- By Malinda
Elderberries are a fruit that comes from a flowering plant called Sambucus. The berries have a sweet flavor, with its color ranging from dark blue to black. These berries are in desserts, jams or other spreads. Elderberries prove that big things can come in small packages, and it is packed with iron, phosphorus, copper, potassium, vitamins A, B, and C. It even contains proteins and dietary fiber.
Because most berries in the Sambucus family are toxic, it is wise not to go out, and pick berries but instead, buy them from a trusted store. You don’t want to choose the wrong berry and end up with cyanide poisoning.
Some benefits of elderberries are:
- Digestion: A single serving of this fruit has 40% of our daily requirement for fiber; thus, it helps with gas, bloating, and constipation.
- Cardiovascular: The high fiber content helps bind lousy cholesterol, and eliminates it from the body, which prevents a buildup of plaque in the arteries.
- Immune system: This berry is Antioxidant-rich; thus, it aids in cellular health, by preventing cell damage and boosting the body’s ability to fight disease.
- Bone Health: The berry is high in minerals, which aid in healthy bone density
- Pancreas: High in antioxidants which aid the pancreas in processing insulin, thus leading to better diabetic sugar control.
- Inflammation: Quercetin is a compound found in elderberries that significantly reduce arthritic pains and mild prostate inflammation.
- Skin health: Because this berry helps prevent cellular damage it is beneficial in keeping the skin looking healthy.
While one little berry does not promise to heal you of all your diseases, you must admit that nature and its pharmacy can be quite useful in helping to get the body back on track with its remedies.